Mind in Greater Manchester is proud to partner with Mind and RED January, helping motivate people to get active every day in January to support their mental health.
The challenge focuses on physical activity for wellbeing to kick–start the New Year. Whether it is running 5K, or walking to work a new way, a morning swim or taking your bike out for a spin, there are no rules or targets. The focus is on getting active, your way. Why not join the thousands of people around the UK kick-starting their 2019 in the most positive way?
What is RED January?
RED January is a community initiative that encourages you to get active every day throughout January, empowering you to start the year as you mean to go on. Founded by Hannah Beecham, RED January and has been run in partnership exclusively with Mind since 2017. Hannah’s story is one that resonates with many of us, so we wanted to share it here.
“In the summer of 2015, my mum’s depression took a real turn. Feeling helpless, I thought about the positive effects physical activity has on my mind and wondered if it could help her mum in some way. I went ahead and signed us up to the Walk the Walk Midnight Marathon. Committing to her first official challenge meant my mum had a goal to work towards. With love and support she tackled each day one day at a time, getting out of the house and allowing herself to feel the benefits of exercise. Crossing the finishing line hand-in-hand with my mum will be one of our fondest memories together. Inspired by the life-changing effect that a physical challenge has had on my mum’s mental health, RED January is here to help you boost your own mental and physical health“. Hannah Beecham, Founder RED January.
Why support RED January?
- Make the start of the year positive with a free fun challenge
- All achievements are celebrated, no matter how big or small
- Opportunity to buy a RED January t-shirt to help raise awareness*
- First 50 participants per local Mind will receive free RED shoelaces
- Every participant will receive a calendar to help you track your progress
- You can join the RED January Facebook community for motivational tips, advice and support
- If you decide to fundraise during your challenge, every penny helps local services, plus you will receive a RED January Medal
*100 RED January t-shirts are available per local Mind, supplied on a first-come-first-serve-basis at £10 each (payment to be made via your local Mind RED January or Virgin Money Giving Page).
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for further information.
If you need any further help please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re looking forward to seeing where your RED January journey takes you.